Friday, January 7, 2011

Tricks of the Thrift.


Jacket: Gap outlet
Shirt: Old Navy
Jeans: XXI
Boots: thrifted
Today, for the first time in a while, I had time to hit up some of my favorite thrift stores. I really love shopping in thrift stores as much as (if not more than) shopping in normal stores. I have tried to share this love with my friends but seems like they give up on me after making a few rookie errors. I wish I was the "pro" I am now because if I was this is what I would tell them...
1) Know your closet before you go.
No matter how cheap something is, if you have one very similar at home that you like better you will not wear it. Also so that you can be creative and mentally create an outfit you can wear with that item. Thrift shops are not like normal shops in that they dont have mannequins and websites and catalogs to show you how to wear their clothes. It's all up to you.
2) Look at quality and fit not labels.
I have an example of this one for ya. During one of my shopping trips I ran across a Chanel sweater that had their logo huge on the front and was cute, but too worn down for my taste. My friend however saw the logo and had to have it. It didn't really fit that well and was pretty nubby but she bought it and I can't say I have seen her wear it. You will look better in your unknown label than having an illfitting, worn out designer peice.
3) Look everywhere.
All retail employees get lazy and make mistakes putting items in the wrong place. This problem is multiplied when there isn't always a clear right place for all items. This can be to your advantage in some stores that price nicer lines higher. Often times I have found nicer clothes in the non-"boutique" area. Also, don't go in looking for a certain item. You will only get disappointed and think thrift stores do not offer what you want. Instead look for cute things and you will be far more lucky.
4) Try it on and look at it in a mirror.
I hardly shop in stores without dressing rooms anymore. If I do I turn a full sized mirror into a dressing room for me to try things on top of my clothes. Because of the variation of sizes, etc you can't judge something by the size you normally wear. This applies to shoes too. Thrift stores can be mirror stingy and you might have to one shoe hobble to the other side of the store but its really the only way to make sure they look good on you. Boots and heels esp. look very different from an aerial view. If they do not have a place to try things on, MAKE SURE they have a good return policy- another thing thrift stores can be stingy on.
5) Edit what you've grabbed
I often get so caught up that I put everything I find remotely cute and stuff it into my buggie. So you dont spend hours in a dressing room take out what you have and evaluate it. If you really dont like it that much, dont bother trying it on. If you are unsure, what the hey, try it on. you might be surprised.

In todays run, I ended up with...

Boots: unknown
Grey striped button up: Lands end
Jeans: Jcrew (brand new!)
 Blazer: Jones New York
Other two blouses: unknown
Vintage book: Wuthering Heights

Hope this helps yall! HAPPY THRIFTING!

11 comments:

Cassandra said...

Brand new J Crew jeans for $4.99? And a vintage copy of Wurthering Heights? What great finds!

This guide is really helpful and I will definitely keep it in mind next time I go thrifting. Too often I don't keep my closet in mind when I go shopping and wind up with items that are similar or don't match ANYTHING in my closet (causing me to go shopping again). However, being a broke college student, I can't really afford that.

The only other thing I would add is to keep your eyes open and don't judge stuff by how they look on the hanger. There have been many times that I've gone thrifting with sister-in-law and she has pulled out pieces I thought look horrible but when she put them out they were fabulous.

Oh and last but not least I am now a follower. :) I look forward to reading up on more thrifting and general money saving tips!

-Cassie
Back-to-School Giveaway!

Bhushavali said...

Wow!!! You seem to have got some real fabulous stuff in dead cheap prices!!! Great shopping lady!!!
Just came across your blog and liked it a lot.
Do drop by mine sometime!!!
Fashion Panache

Ramsey said...

hey girl! Just gave you a bloggie award! Much LOVE!

Hayley said...

Cute blog Hayley (!!!), thanks for coming by mine! Love that outfit by the way.

Xo
Hayley
http://www.theweekendfile.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

wow, this is so much help! I love thrifting, but it's hard to know how to do it "right." Thanks so much! I'm definitely a new follower :)

Kate said...

Love the color of the jacket with the stripes! Cute! & thanks so much for your sweet comment the other day!

Jan said...

Great tips. I also find that if the quality of a piece is really good but it's slightly too big, it's worth considering buying it and having it tailored to fit. I have a really great alteration place that can fix most things and the most I've ever paid is €25 for the most complicated of fixes. Might sound like a lot for a thrifted good but it's transformed a great Burberry trenchcoat and party dresses I otherwise wouldn't wear (and definitely couldn't afford to buy new) :)

Unknown said...

GREAT tips! love your blog!

~selina

Lindsay said...

Cute! I love how it turned out! Plus, I love the pricing breakdown of your thrift finds. Great work!

Justine said...

Thanks for the tips! My "thrif" stores around are so EXPENSIVE. It's almost retail using Forever21 prices.

Just Better Together

Nicole said...

Niiiiiice. Another rule I need to live by is to check for holes and stains and to not buy it thinking I'll always be able to get the stains out.

http://dawnstag.blogspot.com/